The world has been shifting to online shopping for years. But in the past 12 months, that development has clearly accelerated and today online stores are very important for connecting small businesses with customers and generating sales. And if you’re a business owner making or building things by hand, Etsy is one of the best online shopping platforms to use.
It doesn’t matter if you’re an artist starting a new business, a budding entrepreneur looking for a new way to earn a little extra, or just someone looking to earn some extra cash with a creative hobby. With a staggering 10.2 billion in sales in 2020 alone, Etsy is the place to sell your products. Gold Bracelets: How much does a 22K Gold Bracelets cost?
But what are the best Etsy tips for beginners? How exactly do you start selling on Etsy? And once you’re established on the platform, how do you effectively reach your customers to sell your items?
Let’s take a look at everything you need to know about starting an online craft business, as well as specific tips for starting an Etsy shop and using the platform to sell your products. You’ll learn how to stand out from the crowd, grab customers’ attention, and use the Etsy platform to take your craft business to the next level. Here’s how to get success on Etsy step-by-step:
- Open your Etsy shop.
- Determine what makes you unique.
- Use product photos to generate sales.
- Provide a seamless shopping experience.
- Optimize your online shop.
- Promote your store.
1. Open your Etsy shop.
Before you can sell products on Etsy, you must have an Open Etsy Shop† You can do that in just a few steps:
- Set your preferences. Before you can set up your shop, you need to set your preferences, including language, currency, and country. You must also indicate whether you are a part-time or full-time seller (this will not affect your shop; Etsy only uses that information internally).
- Choose a name for your store. Every business needs a name, including businesses on Etsy. Store names on Etsy can be between 4 and 20 characters long and cannot contain spaces, special characters, or foul language. You also may not choose a store name that is already being used by another seller or that infringes on someone’s trademark.
- Add your products. Your shop exists to sell your products. So before you your new company launches, you must list every product you want to sell.
- Set payment and billing options. Your customers need a way to buy your products and you need a way to get paid. Etsy has a number of different payment methods available, depending on your location. Choose the one that is most relevant to you. Depending on where you sell from, you may also need to provide credit card information before you can open a store.
Those are the most important tasks to cross off before you can officially open your Etsy shop. But tips on opening an Etsy shop are only the first step in the process. To make your store a success, you need to connect with your customers, promote your products and generate sales. That’s what we’re going to talk about next.
2. Determine what makes you unique.
In 2020 there were over 4.3 million sellers on Etsy† The fact that there are so many creators selling their products on Etsy is proof of how effective the platform can be. However, it also means that customers can choose from many shops and products.
So to succeed on Etsy, you need a way to stand out from the crowd and show your customers why they should choose your products. And that starts with knowing what makes your store different. 250+ Catchy, Unique, and Stylish Names For Online Clothing Store
Think of it as the special sauce of your Etsy shop. It is what makes you unique, distinguishes you from competitors, and connects you with your ideal customers. For example, let’s say you plan to sell your hand-knit products on Etsy. There are tons of knitwear to choose from… why should they choose yours? Perhaps you incorporate unexpected patterns into traditional knitting. Maybe you use a special kind of wool. Or maybe you specialize in unique knitwear for pets. 10 brilliant names for your crystal store
Whatever makes you unique, you need to define it from the start and use it in the positioning and marketing of your Etsy shop. If you’re not sure what makes you unique, ask yourself these three things to dig a little deeper and decipher what makes you stand out:
- What does my shop offer that no one else offers?
- How am I different from competing shops/makers?
- Why would customers rather buy from me than from others?
3. Use product photos to generate sales.
Etsy is a visual platform. When customers search for a product, they can browse through hundreds, if not thousands, of product photos. High-quality photos are vital to marketing your shop on Etsy (or anywhere, for that matter). The products with the best photos are usually the ones that get clicked… and, most importantly, those that are sold. According to an Etsy survey, As many as 90% of people surveyed said image quality was “very important” or “very important” when making their purchase decision.
High-quality photos in your marketing show potential customers that you’re a professional. It shows that you take your business seriously and that you invest in yourself, your products, and your Etsy shop, as well as take that professionalism into account when interacting with customers when they buy from you. Beautiful, Creative, Modern Shop and Company Names
Briefly? If you want to sell products, you need to make your product photos as professional, attractive, and eye-catching as possible. But how exactly do you do that?
- Choose the best product photo as the thumbnail view… The thumbnail view is the photo that customers see when they search for a product or browse your shop. So choose the best photo to use for this. Choose a photo that shows the entire product, not just an unidentifiable detail.
- But also make sure you use different photos in the product information. It doesn’t matter how fantastic that thumbnail view is; if it’s the only product photo, customers will be left scratching their heads. Always use multiple product photos (with Etsy there is a maximum of 10), including photos from different angles.
- Use high-quality photos. You don’t have to hire a top photographer to shoot your product images, but your photos have to look professional† Make sure you use a good camera, take the photos in a well-lit room (natural light is best!), and upload all your photos in high resolution.
- Also, include photos showing your product in action. It’s best to shoot your product photos against a neutral background. But if you really want to grab your customers’ attention (and get them to buy your product), take photos of your creations in action. Do you sell a necklace? Include a photo of someone wearing your jewelry. Are you selling a work of art? Include photos of the artwork as it hangs in different rooms.
- Add something as a reference point. In a photo, it is often difficult to see how big or small something is. If you’re selling on Etsy, be sure to include at least one photo that gives consumers a reference point about the size of the item (by placing your product next to a ruler, for example).
4. Provide a seamless shopping experience.
When customers shop on Etsy, they look for unique, interesting products. But because they shop online, they also expect a simple, streamlined shopping experience.
So what’s the best thing you can do to get more sales on Etsy? Make the experience as easy as possible for your customers. There are a few different ways to make the buying process easier for your customers:
- Write a clear store policy. Your store policy sets out what customers can expect when they do business with you. Your store policies should be clear and easy to find on your page and should include information about your return policy, payment methods, and shipping expectations. When customers experience ambiguity about things like shipping times or payment options, they may leave your store looking for an easier and more flexible shopping experience.
- Answer customer questions quickly and clearly. Etsy allows buyers to contact sellers directly to ask questions. If someone asks a question about one of your products, it’s important to respond as quickly as possible. If they have to wait days for an answer, they often find what they are looking for elsewhere and you miss a sale.
- Solve problems right away. If a customer has a problem with a purchase (maybe it was damaged in shipping or they ordered the wrong size), it’s important to get it resolved as soon as possible. Otherwise, the customer may leave a negative rating or review, which could hinder future sales.
5. Optimize your online store.
Etsy is a platform where buyers search for handmade products, artwork, and accessories to buy. For your Etsy shop to be truly successful, you need to make sure your customers can find you and your products when they’re searching.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the practice of optimizing your website (including your Etsy shop and product pages) to make sure you show up in relevant searches. If those pages are well optimized, it’s easier to find good customers who are already looking for exactly what you’re selling. Gold Necklaces For Women
There are several ways to optimize your shop and products. Make sure you:
- Categories and properties used. Etsy organizes products by categories (for example, Art & Collectibles ), subcategories (“Painting” or “Watercolor”), and attributes. Make sure to use these elements in your product listings so that your shop shows up in search results when customers search for what you’re selling.
- Use tags. In addition to categories and attributes, Etsy also allows you to use 13 labels per product. These labels are used for searches. It allows sellers to use longer search terms that describe their product (such as “watercolor painting of a beach” or “portrait of a dog by the sea”). Make sure you use all 13 labels and that each uses a term or phrase that your customers are likely to type in when searching.
- Maximize your product descriptions. Getting your customers to find and click on your product is the first step. But once they are on your product page, you have to persuade them to buy your product. That’s the job of your product description. Make sure your product descriptions are written in a way that makes your customers want to buy your product and that they have all the information they need to make a purchase decision (for example, dimensions, materials, and shipping information).
6. Promote your store.
Etsy’s search can be a great tool for getting new customers to your shop… but don’t use it alone. There are several ways you can promote your craft business and increase sales, including:
- Promotion on your social media channels. There are many people who already follow you on your social media. Sharing your Etsy shop with your followers is a great way to leverage your existing followers and attract new customers to your shop. For example, if you’re creating a new product for your store, show it off in your Instagram Stories to get your followers excited. Use the swipe-up feature to add a link and send the followers straight to your store. Or give them an exclusive discount on their order or a special gift with their purchase to turn your followers into paying customers.
- Collaborations with influencers. Partnering with social media influencers can be a great way to make your product visible to new potential customers. While well-known influencers often charge large fees to promote products, emerging influencers (or micro-influencers) are often a more affordable alternative. Find influencers in your area of work (for example, if you sell boho wall art, you can search for interior design influencers with a similar style) and get in touch to see if they’re interested in collaborating. Make sure you offer them something in return: for example a free product or exclusive discount code for your shop.
- Guest blogging. There are several blogs on online publications about the things sold on Etsy. Contacting those websites and offering to write a guest blog can be a great way to get qualified customers to your Etsy shop. For example, let’s say you do animal portraits. Then look for pet bloggers or digital publications that target pet owners and offer to write an article on how to take the perfect photo for an animal portrait. Then you can link to your products in the article and send readers directly to your Etsy shop.
- Tap into your existing customer base Your existing customers offer one of the best opportunities to promote your shop and find new customers if you know how to leverage them. When wrapping a customer’s order on Etsy, you can add a business card and encourage your customers to refer their friends and family to your shop and share their new purchases on their social channels. Throw in a few extra surprises (like stickers your logo, a handwritten thank you note, or a postcard with a discount code) to make it even more fun and make them want to share your shop with their friends, family, and followers on social media.