Server processors are tested under stressful conditions at high temperatures and heavy computing loads. Therefore, they are able to operate at constant frequencies, while providing high-quality data processing.
CPU Specifications for servers
Server processors should have a number of preferential parameters:
- Reliability. Server hardware works 24/7, so the reliability of components should be maximum. CPU manufacturers focus on this point.
- At least 6-8 cores. If a regular PC needs 4 cores, then for a server this number is higher. The minimum number of cores for stable operation is selected according to the tasks, and the maximum at the moment is 64 per 1 processor.
- High performance. Server models have a high level of performance. Due to this, they work effectively in multi-threaded tasks.
- At least 128 GB of RAM. The RAM on the northern CPUs should be sufficient to ensure optimal performance. Even outdated server processor models have support for a fairly large amount of RAM.
- Support for virtualization technologies. Server processors have a more advanced functionality than these options, unlike home solutions.
Additionally, RAM with ECC acts as a protection element – it allows you to identify and eliminate errors.
At the moment, the only manufacturers available for the retail purchase of processors are:
The famous American company of this brand is considered one of the world leaders in the market. It manufactures electronics integrated circuits and supplies a variety of components for common home PCs, sophisticated work devices and server systems.
The CPUs of the EPYC line are excellent for assembling a server complex. These models are distinguished by the highest performance index, which is ahead of them in comparison with competitors.
No less popular US brand, widely known in the world market. The company specializes in the production of various electronic devices and computer components. In its assortment, it has a large number of server CPU models. The most demanded are processors of the Xeon E and Xeon Gold line, which are characterized by excellent performance properties and long-term reliability.
CPU for company tasks
If the server system is designed to serve a small office with a staff of no more than 15 people, then in this case the basic CPU models will do. As a rule, firms of this level are engaged in accounting and work with conventional office programs and other documentation. When selecting equipment, the main thing is to take into account the system requirements of the OS and applications, and the degree of maximum load on the device.
Regarding the processor, 6-8 cores will be enough here, but virtual threads are desirable; frequency – variable from up to 4.5 GHz; at least 16 GB RAM.
Mid-level companies with 20-40 employees need equipment that is 2-2.5 times larger in performance. It all depends on the budget allocated by the company for equipping the server room. In addition, multithreading is important here: for INTEL – Hyper-Threading, AMD – SMT. Having only one physical core is no longer suitable.
The same applies to the scalability of the server system. A single socket scenario may not be enough in this case.
In this segment, there is a division of servers into terminal, file, mail and web. Even if their assembly is in the same “box”, the administrator still needs to control the resources of cores, threads, and memory and allocate power for specific needs.
Enterprises with 50 people or more involve more complex solutions. It already requires a personal company with an official representative of server hardware, which will offer the optimal configuration for solving specific problems, taking into account the following indicators:
- Number of Cores:
- Stream frequency;
- Number of sockets;
- Motherboard type;
- A set of expansion slots;
- Individual cooling system;
- Control and monitoring scheme;
- Scaling technology for future system upgrades.
When choosing a CPU for a server, you can also seek advice from specialists who will help you make the right decision, taking into account all the company’s requests.
What is the result
According to the reviewed material, it should be said that the most reliable and efficient CPUs for server systems are specialized, and not home processors from AMD and INTEL. To solve the problems of their enterprises, experts recommend choosing equipment from this category.